Encouraging Friends

You know, I've heard it said that it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile. Our facial muscles are programmed, from birth, to smile. It's a simple gesture that never goes unnoticed. And, I've also heard, and I know this to be true, that it's easier to build someone up than it is to tear them down. Can we just stop right there and think about what that means?

Let's change topics for just a second. Recently, our pastor preached about loving God with your whole heart. Sitting in church, I suddenly became overwhelmed by the responsibility that statement entails. We all know that love isn't a feeling, it's an action; it's not a noun, it's a verb. In order to truly show someone that you love them, you have to prove it with your actions. God loves us and, because of that love, He sent His son to die for us. Indeed, Jesus loves us so much that he gave up His own life for us. That was the ultimate love in action.

Because of this love, I made a life-altering decision to learn more about loving God and how to show Him that I truly love Him. I started a devotional every morning, using my YouVersion app, that taught about loving God. And, because I was so enthralled with what I was being taught, I decided to share it via Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, with everyone I knew. Hey, I just figured if I'm happier learning how to love God, everyone else would be, too. Right? Well, guess what, most of the people -- my friends, family, followers, who read what I shared-- were happy to hear it. Some would comment that they needed that particular verse that I posted, or express how very much they've enjoyed my sharing of the verses each morning. And, I have to say, this made me even more exhilarated to share more and more of what I'd learned from God's word. After all, we can all learn to love Him more.

But, guess what. There were actually some people, who claim to be Christians, who didn't enjoy hearing about what I'd learned. In fact, they actually mocked what I was sharing! Can you imagine that? A Christian not wanting to hear more of God's word? Okay, I'll be the first to admit it... I have seen folks post scriptures and just scrolled right on down the page. Yes, I'm human. (Don't tell anyone!) Some days, the old devil just sits on my shoulder, ya know? But, I've never mocked someone for wanting to share God's word! I mean, isn't that what we're called to do? His word says to preach the gospel with every creature, not just the lost. Now, I'm definitely not a preacher, though my husband my disagree at times (Ha Ha), but, when I feel inspired by some sermon or verse from His word, I want to share it!

Now, let's get back to what I said in the beginning. It is so much easier to lift someone up than it is to bring them down. I confess to you, that I was feeling high on Jesus and floating on a spiritual cloud when I received the ooo's and aaa's of friends who got a blessing from my posts. But, all it took was one simple sentence, said in the wrong tone of voice, for me to crash back down like a brick dropped from a rooftop. In fact, I've spent most of today dwelling on whether, or not, I should post anymore.

But, then my husband, whose opinion I value above anyone else's, except God, told me, "If you stop posting your blessings, the devil wins, and someone else may need to hear what you have to say." Yeah, he's my favorite! I realized that I can't listen to all the nay-sayers, gloom-makers, and Christianity-crushers, but rather to the ones who treasure God's word and want to learn more, the way I do. Funny, I don't ever recalling Jesus pushing away someone who wanted to be closer to Him. In fact, he rebuked his disciples for pushing away the little children. That's me! I'm a 'little children!' (Yes, I know that's grammatically incorrect, and it hurt me to even type it!)

Let's always remember this when we go throughout our daily lives. Our words, and our actions, can show people how much we love God. Today, I am thanking God for all my friends who encourage me and strengthen me. You are one of life's HUGE blessings.
*Pic from Adobe Stock Photos


Comments